Coin Cells

Prevention

  • It is important to keep lithium batteries out of reach of children to prevent ingestion
  • Keep coin cell batteries out of sight
  • Be aware of what devices in your home take lithium cell batteries and secure the battery compartments

Treatment

  • If swallowed, seek immediate medical advice

Did you know that?

  • Button batteries were involved in 84 per cent of all battery-related emergencies for which a battery type was identified.
  • The number of serious injuries or deaths as a result of button batteries has increased more than nine fold in the past decade.
  • When a button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current that causes a chemical reaction that can burn the oesophagus.  Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
  • Of the lithium battery injuries recorded:
    • 49% ingested batteries were removed from a device
    • 42% were left sitting loose or in the trash
    • Only 6% were removed from the battery and packaging

 

Our thanks to: Safe Kids Worldwide and the National Chemical Poison Center of the USA for the information used in this article.

 
©Strand Europe Ltd 2013